Summer Theatre Arts Program
VPA’s Summer Theatre Arts Program has been teaching theatre arts for more than ten years.
Our program offers three separate two-week workshops for youth 7 to 17 years of age throughout the summer. These sessions help young people build self-confidence, self-expression and concentration skills through experiences that focus on the fundamentals of theatre production. Students also get an understanding of theatrical terms and what it takes to stage a live show from auditions through performance including: acting, set design, costuming, artistic design, stage direction, lighting design, and sound engineering. They also prepare a short play for family and friends, presented at the theatre the evening of the final day of their workshop. Class size is limited!
2017 PROGRAM DATES*
June 12th – 23rd • July 10th – 21st • July 24th – August 4th
Morning Session 9 am – 12 noon AGES 7-11 Mon– Fri
Afternoon Session 1 pm – 4 pm AGES 12-17 Mon– Fri
*Dates may be subject to change
NOTE: Space is limited in each session.
Funded in part by generous support from
The Alaska State Council on the Arts
The National Endowment for the Arts
- Inspire individual creativity and arts ability
- Provide opportunities for youth to explore the arts in various disciplines that may not have otherwise been presented to them
- Offer experiences in team building and working towards a common goal to young people from different backgrounds
- Present the opportunity to make new friends with similar interests
- Give young people tools to become critical thinkers and problem-solvers
- Provide arts exposure and experience to disadvantaged youth
- Spark a realization of individual talent
- Enrich the lives of children who have limited access to an arts education
- Build self-esteem and enhance interpersonal growth
- Offer tools that will teach our young people how to utilize the arts as a form of communication and individual expression